Apple is now rolling out iOS 17.2 and it brings several noteworthy updates including the new Journal app, support for Qi2 charge, Spatial recording on iPhone 15 Pro series and updates to the Camera, Action Button and Weather app. The new update comes in at 1.49GB and is available on the iPhone Xs or newer devices. Apple is following a staged release so some users may need to wait a little longer before the update is available on their device.
The Journal app is Apple’s latest health and wellbeing app that allows users to reflect on their day and practice gratitude. The app can use data on your phone like locations, photos or workouts to develop “Moments” helping you with writing suggestion prompts.
Apple is also updating the Action Button on the iPhone 15 Pro series by adding a Translate option toggle.
iPhone 15 Pro models can now record Spatial Video which will be supported on the Apple Vision Pro. Apple is also boasting improved telephoto focusing speed on the 15 Pro series.
Messages gain a catch-up feature which allows you to read the first unread message in a chat via an arrow. Apple also added new sticker options and Memoji customization.
The Weather gained new widgets, wind map snapshots and precipitation amounts for rain and snow. Some of the more-under-the-radar improvements in iOS 17.2 include Qi2 charger support for iPhone 13 and up, fixes for wireless charging in certain vehicles and improvements to AirDrop.
iOS 17.2 complete changelog
- Journal is a new app that lets you write about the small moments and big events in your life so you can practice gratitude and improve your well-being
- Journaling suggestions make it easy to remember your experiences by intelligently grouping your outings, photos, workouts and more into moments you can add to your journal
- Filters let you quickly find bookmarked entries or show entries with attachments so you can revisit and reflect on key moments in your life
- Scheduled notifications help you keep a consistent journaling practice by reminding you to write on the days and time you choose
- Option to lock your journal using Touch ID or Face ID
iCloud sync keeps your journal entries safe and encrypted on iCloud
- Translate option for the Action button on iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max to quickly translate phrases or have a conversation with someone in another language
- Spatial video lets you capture video on iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max so you can relive your memories in three dimensions on Apple Vision Pro
- Improved Telephoto camera focusing speed when capturing small, faraway objects on iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max
- Catch-up arrow lets you easily jump to your first unread message in a conversation by tapping the arrow visible in the top-right corner
- Add sticker option in the context menu lets you add a sticker directly to a bubble
- Memoji updates include the ability to adjust the body shape of any Memoji
- Contact Key Verification provides automatic alerts and Contact Verification Codes to help verify that people facing extraordinary digital threats are messaging only with the people they intend to
- Precipitation amounts help you stay on top of rain and snow conditions for a given day over the next 10 days
- New widgets let you choose from next-hour precipitation, daily forecast, sunrise and sunset times, and current conditions such as Air Quality, Feels Like and wind speed
- Wind map snapshot helps you quickly assess wind patterns and access the animated wind map overlay to prepare for forecast wind conditions for the next 24 hours
- Interactive moon calendar lets you easily visualise the phase of the moon on any day for the next month
- AirDrop improvements including expanded contact sharing options and the ability to share boarding passes, cinema tickets and other eligible passes by bringing two iPhones together
- Favorite Songs Playlist in Apple Music lets you quickly get back to the songs you mark as favorites
- Use Listening History in Apple Music can be disabled in a Focus so music you listen to does not appear in Recently Played or influence your recommendations
- A new Digital Clock Widget lets you quickly catch a glimpse of the time on your Home Screen and while in StandBy
- Enhanced AutoFill identifies fields in PDFs and other forms, enabling you to populate them with information such as names and addresses from your contacts
- New keyboard layouts provide support for 8 Sámi languages
- Sensitive Content Warning for stickers in Messages prevents you from being unexpectedly shown a sticker containing nudity
- Qi2 charger support for all iPhone 13 and iPhone 14 models
- Fixes an issue that may prevent wireless charging in certain vehicles
Improvements and bug fixes